Saturday, July 14, 2012

Scallops over pasta

I bought these beautiful scallops during my trip to the fish market, they looked very fresh so I knew that I wouldn't be messing with them too much when cooking. Scallops have a very delicate taste that gets lost when mixed with spices and herbs so it's best to keep it simple.

The exception to the rule is:  if you are using scallops that are less than fresh then they probably don't have that much taste and will need some help so feel free to use a marinade or sauce to flavor them.




Directions:

Wash your scallops and dry them on a paper towel from both sides.
salt and pepper both sides
Heat a skillet; it's very important that it is very hot so that you don't end up with steamed scallops
Add butter once the skillet is very hot to cover the whole surface (about 1 tablespoon)
Sear one side until golden brown and turn to the other side and do the same.
Scallops should never be over cooked otherwise they turn into rubber :-( they are not very cheap so stay close to that pan.

I served my scallops over spaghetti with a delicious pink sauce (tomato/cream) and notice how I didn't pour the sauce over the scallops to preserve their distinct taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment