Sunday, July 22, 2012

Jben (Fresh spreadable cheese)

Jben is a fresh cheese that is usually sold in supermarkets and other specialty stores in Morocco, it has a taste that is a cross between cottage cheese and goat cheese. Since this is an authentic cheese that can't be found in the states, I decided to learn how to make it so I googled the recipe and chose the one that sounded the best.

I love how it turned out; the texture is perfect and the taste is just like I remember it. This recipe is a keeper for me!

Ingredients:

1 measure of whole milk
1 measure of buttermilk (I used 6 cups)
a little salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice

Directions:

Heat up the milk until very hot but don't let it come to a boil.
Add the lemon juice and salt to the cold buttermilk and mix
Add the hot milk to the cold buttermilk and mix
let it rest for about 1 hour, you will notice that as soo as you pour the hot milk on the buttermilk it will start curdling jut let it set for that one hour so it can finish this process

Here's what it looked like right after I added the hot milk



Collect the solid parts with a mesh spatula and put them in a cheese cloth and let it drain over a mesh kitchen strainer for 2 hours in the fridge.



Store in a closed container in the fridge and enjoy as a spread with honey

No comments:

Post a Comment