Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ramadan meals

As I've mentioned on previous posts; the holy month of Ramadan is here and I am enjoying the festive ambiance it brings with it. Even though fasting in the middle of the summer is no easy task but I really enjoy the challenge and spiritual connection it gives me.

During Ramadan we serve a meal at sunset called "iftar" or "ftour" which translates into "break fast" and yes you guessed it! that's when you break your daily fast. This meal includes a lot of variety of food and is traditionally really big but since I have a small family and half of us is not of fasting age :-) I keep the amounts under control; compared to iftars in large families or ones we serve when we're entertaining.

Some items served do not change from day to day and will always be present on the table, and the combination of foods is a little crazy unusual but that's a Moroccan iftar for ya!! Other countries have their own traditions when it comes to the foods served but one thing is for sure; NOBODY misses iftar time :-)

Here are some pictures of some of my iftars served to my little family


On the table: Lamb kabobs/Maakouda (close to potato latke)/fresh veggies/creamy semolina soup/ boiled eggs (don't ask!)/ Ramadan pastries and a nice mint tea.

Other than the usual iftar items; we have here Kefta/baghrir (semolina pancakes)/ cucumber and tomato salad/Sweet rice.





I remembered to take a picture after we started eating :-) I was too hungry lol
On this menu we had a delicious shrimp pizza/Harira soup/beef kabobs/crepes...

Thanks for sharing our iftar!


No comments:

Post a Comment