Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Ramadan preparations

Ramadan is almost here and I have been in the middle of getting ready for it...See I don't go small during this time of the year and I don't take any short cuts when it comes to preparing all the Ramadan staples I grew up with. My house has been smelling like warm honey, cinnamon, Anise seeds, orange blossom water and toasted sesame seeds and almonds for a couple of weeks now!

I am sharing in this post some of my preprations but without a recipe for now and I will try to post all the recipes at a later time (Toooo busy!)
It might look like a lot but believe me that it really is not when you consider that I am preparing for a MONTH LONG HOLIDAY!!! Compare to how much preparing we have to do for Christams that is here for 2 days only and you will get my point :-)

I will be posting some of my Iftar tables (breaking the fast meal at sunset) during this month. It is like having a Thanksgiving dinner every night!

These are Krichlat or Grissat which are sweet rolls flavored with Anise seeds




I also made some mssemen which can be served sweet with honey or can be savory and stuffed with some meat as seen on the picture




Briwat which is very thin pastry filled with a homemade almond paste, fried and dipped in honey

Here right before the hot oil bath :-)


I made Sellou which is a very unique pastry that is usually served in a "powder" form and eaten with a spoon or formed into different shapes and enjoyed with a nice cup of tea. It is made with a long list of nuts and seeds and is considered as an energy bar...That's why it's popular during this fasting month and is also served to young mothers druing the first weeks after birth. This one is time consuming and involves a lot of prep so a lot of women shy away from making it because of that.  



And of course Ramadan is all about sharing and I especially love giving away the goodies that are harder to make but are missed the most.



Ramadan Moubarak and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment