Sunday, July 29, 2012

Maakouda


The closest thing I can use to describe Maakouda are potato latkes; they are both made out of potatoes and fried. Maakouda is a lot more flavorful than latkes in my taste and I enjoy the contrast between the crispy outside and smooth inside.
This is not the healthiest thing to eat since it's fried carbs :-) but here's my philosophy when it comes to eating well; I'd rather enjoy a small amount of some amazingly delicious food than eat a lot of bland tasteless food. So I keep the frying to a minimum and share anything sweet I make with others or freeze it for when I have company :-)

    
                          

Ingredients:

5 potatoes
1 onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 egg
salt/pepper/cumin

Directions:
Cook your potatoes in some salted water until tender, peel and mash. finely chop the onion and sautee it in a little olive oil. Wait until the potatoes and onion are completely cool then add all the ingredients together.

Heat some oil (it needs to be very hot) prepare a plate with a mixture of seasoned flour (salt+pepper+paprika) and bread crumbs (I use italian bread crumbs)

form a ball with the potato mixture, flatten between the palms of your hands, give it a good coating of flour and bread crumbs and fry until both sides are golden brown. Place on a paper towel as soon as it comes out of the pan.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment