Friday, March 16, 2012

Tapas style shrimp and egg

I had planned to make chicken for dinner a few days ago except that I came back home from work and realized that I forgot to transfer it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw...To be honest this is not the first time this happens; I find myself in this situation at least once a month so I've learned to think quick about the alternatives...Something that requires little to no thawing will be either vegetarian, egg based or shrimp based (It thaws under running water in no time).

I had made this dish before and really enjoyed the combination of homemade tomato sauce with shrimp and the juices of the over easy egg. Come armed with some bread for soaking up all that ymminess!!

 These mini pans were the perfect serving vessel for this dish, I had found them at Marshalls and have been serving eggs in them since (they are just too cute and make for a nice presentation)



Ingredients:

1 chopped shallot
1 big tomato
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
Shrimp
3 eggs
salt/pepper/paprika/1/4 bouillon cube
3 tbsp tomato sauce (unflavored)
Olive oil

directions:

In a big pan, heat up some olive oil and toss in the chopped shallot.
Once the shallot starts wilting add a very finely chopped or pureed tomato (no canned puree please!)
Add your spices and the cilantro and follow with the tomato sauce
Stir for 1to 2 minutes and add your shrimp
Let it cook just until the shrimp turns pink.
If you will be serving in the same big pan you cooked in, you can add the eggs at this point and cover just until they set to your cooking preference.
I transferred the shrimp and sauce to the individual mini pans and then added one egg on each and dusted it with a little paprika/salt and cumin and let it set to over easy. I added a little chopped cilantro right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment