Saturday, March 10, 2012

Artisan bread

The smell of bread filled my house at 9:00am this Saturday morning!! No, I did not stay up all night kneading and waiting on it to rise. This was possible thanks to this new method that I found on the blogsphere; I saw it on so many blogs that I don't know who it belongs to anymore but all I know is that many people are now able to enjoy freshly baked bread right out of the oven for breakfast!



The method is simple, mix your flour (I used half white half wheat), yeast, salt and water with a wooden spoon until combined (the dough needs to stay sticky) cover and let it rise for 12 hours...Yes, you can go to bed :-) When you wake up the next day punch the dough down and form it into a ball using plenty of flour so it won't stick to your hands too much. Sprinkle a baking sheet with some fine semolina and transfer the ball to it, sprinkle it with some semolina and cut it with a sharp knife. Let it rise for another hour.

Place a pan with 1 cup of water in the bottom rack of the oven when you're ready to bake your bread (This makes it develop a nice crust).
Bake your bread in a 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. To check that the inside is cooked, pick up your bread and knock on the bottom; you should hear a hallow noise when it's fully cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment