Friday, March 16, 2012

Preserved lemons (Mssayer)

I ran out of my precious preserved lemons :-( I always have a stash of them in my fridge ready for my lemon chicken recipe or other moroccan dishes that call for this truly amazing ingredient!

I have always had them brought to me from Morrocco by family or friends but I haven't had visitors from the other side of the atlantic in a while and nobody I know is going there any time soon, so I was forced to make my own preserved lemons that I will need to wait on for at least 6 weeks before I can use them. It will be all worth it at the end if they are anything like the ones I am used to.

 I started by selecting these gorgeous lemons



Ingredients:

Lemons
Kosher salt
White vinegar
Warm water
Canola oil

Directions:

Wash your lemons and cut each one into 4 quarters lengthwise but not all the way to the bottom, It will look something like this

Fill each lemon generously with the kosher salt and place in your glass jar, add more salt to the jar.
Fill the jar with 1/2 cup of vinegar and warm water; you want the lemons to be completely submerged in the liquid so don't be afraid to push them down a little.
You will not need to sterilize your jar as you normally would when making jams or that sort of thing; there's just too much acid and salt for anything to stay alive :-)

Top with a generous drizzle of canola oil or olive oil and close your airtight jar


Store in a dark place at room temperature for 6 weeks. Transfer them to the fridge when they are ready and keep them stored there.

When ready to use, wash the lemons from the excess salt and cook according to the directions of you moroccan recipe (Do not use as a substitute for fresh lemons in other recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment