Sunday, March 11, 2012

Artisan bread

I am in bread making heaven; I used to knead my bread and wait on it to rise for a first time and shape it and then wait on it to rise for a second time and then I would have to bake it right away, so unfortunately I didn't make bread as often as I wanted to...Until now!!



This new method allows me to mix my dough and let it rise at its leisure at room temperature all night long and then I would wake up in the morning, shape it, let it rise and then bake it. But what if you don't have time to bake it in the morning you'd ask? No problem, I read that there's a variation to this method where you don't let it rise at room temperature all night long because you can actually let the bread rise at room temperature for only 2 hours, stick it in the fridge in a lided plastic container and keep it there until you're ready to make some bread up to 1 week (I suggest 2 to 3 days max if you don't want the taste to be more like sourdough).

 I followed this variation to make today's bread; I mixed the dough in the evening and let it rise for 2 hours and then stuck it in the fridge before I went to bed, I let it stay there until I was ready for it...Ok, this is big for me because I always felt like bread was in control of me whenever I decided to make it; I have to be available after it rises for the first time so I can punch it down and shape it and then once it rises the second time there's no going back!! YOU HAVE TO BAKE IT RIGHT AWAY. It was insane that I had to dedicate a whole afternoon of my precious weekend to bread (So it didn't happen very often)



You can find the method here, just put the dough in the fridge after 2 hours of room temperature rising and when you're ready to bake some bread, shape it and let it rise a second time at room temperature for about 1 hour. Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment