Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chewy chocolate cookies

I found the idea of these chocolate cookies in a magazine, and I say idea because I've changed the recipe  to give it more flavor and even assembling two cookies with nutella was an upgrade from the original :-)

I am usually a make it from scratch kind of cook but I do break the rules on a few things as long as the taste is not compromised. This recipe calls for a box of chocolate cake mix, butter, one egg and cream cheese but I decided to add finely chopped pecans, orange zest, instant coffee and vanilla and that is what made all the difference...Chewy, nutty, very chocolatey and super easy to make.




Ingredients:

1 box of chocolate cake mix (I used German chocolate cake mix)
1 egg
1 stick of butter (room temperature)
4 oz of cream cheese
1 cup of finely chopped pecans (use any kind of nuts you like)
1teaspoon vanilla
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon instant coffee (I used Nescafe)
Nutella for cookie sandwich assembly (I used strawberry jam before and it tastes really good too!)
powdered sugar for decorating


Directions:

  • Mix butter and cream cheese until soft, add one egg, the zest of one orange, coffee and vanilla and mix until combined.
  • Add the contents of the cake box and mix everyting until you achieve a smooth consistency (dough will be sticky)
  • Form one big ball, wrap it in plastic film and put in fridge for one hour.
  • Form balls the size of a walnut, dip one side in powdered sugar and place on cookie sheet (leave enough space since they flatten to be the size shown on picture)
  • Bake in a 350 F oven for 12-13 minutes.
  • Let the cookies cool down before and handling them
  • Assemble cookie sandwiches using Nutella or jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment