Sunday, April 1, 2012

Moroccan Charoset truffles

Just in time for pesach!! I love making foods that tell a story and I find that the ones that show up on a holiday's table usually do...I am not jewish but I've been making these charoset truffles for the longest time to celebrate my holidays before finding out that they were actually a staple on Moroccan jews' seder during pesach time (Passover)



You can make these with any kind of nuts and even some sesame seeds can be added

Just as a side note for anyone wondering if these are kosher for pesach:

Moroccan jews are sephardim (middle eastern &North African) so the recipe might contain ingredients that are not ok for Ashkinazim jews (European & North American); it doesn't contain any Chametz but be careful with adding sesame seeds as they would be considered Kitniyot and I think peanuts too? Anyway, I used orange blossom water for flavor and I have no idea if it's Kosher for Pesach, my knowledge on this subject is limited so please don't take my word for it and consult with your regular sources for the laws of Kashrut.

Ingredients:

3 cups pitted dates
1 1/2 cups of chopped taosted almonds
1 tbsp orange blossom water (replace with any flavoring liquid you prefer)
shredded coconuts and additional chopped almonds to roll the truffles in.

Directions:

Steam the dates for about half an hour and pass them in the food processor until the form a paster, transfer them to another container and add the almonds and orange blossom water and mix until combined.

Pour some orange blossome water in a bowl and wet the palms of your hands with it, form balls the size of a walnut and roll them in the almond/coconut mixture. If you're not using the orange blossom water be ready to wet your hands a few times while you're making the truffles because the paste is very sticky.

Keep refrigerated so they can firm up or serve at room temperature if you plan on spreading it on a cracker or Matzo bread, I serve mine with a hearty soup during Ramadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment